How many of you moms feel like you’re constantly working? All day, everyday? From eyes open to eyes closed? I DO! PICK ME! You may think that Erick has a wife who cooks, cleans and does it all.. Well he does, but not one who is quiet about it. I voice my opinion of equality all the time. I only work at night except Monday mornings so I feel like my whole day is cleaning, then go to work and coming home just to pick up where I left off. I love to have a clean home, everything has a place and every place is a home to something. I know there are fathers who live like myself as well. I heard on The Real that moms do an average over 100 odd little tasks a day… It might be a little more than that. While you think you’re hard at work, which I’m not doubting you are, we are at home:
- Waking up children, or rather, them waking us up, at the wee hours of the night/morning.
- Making breakfast, feed the little babes, try not to forget to feed ourselves.
- Take a shower while the child is in the shower with us, in their own personal tub.
- Put the littles down for the naps that they fight constantly.
- Strip bed sheets (adult and kids beds).
- This one is just me: Empty the pool water and make way for clean water to play in.
- Empty dishwasher and drying rack, just to load them back up again and hand wash all the pots and pans.
- Sweep kitchen & bathroom.
- Mop both of those rooms.
- Wipe down all the counter tops
- Put a load in the washer, and fold the remaining 4 clean baskets that have been sitting in the corner of the bedroom for days.
- Pick up toys every 30 mins so that I don’t trip and die on a toy boat.
- Make baby lunch. Maybe a snack for myself. Maybe.
- Attempt to do some school work.
- Hold child while attempting to do school work.
- Get a cup of now cold coffee that was made at the time of task number 2.
This is all stuff I did yesterday. This doesn’t even include if the day has a Dr. apt or some other plans. People ask me why I’m so tired, my kid sleeps through the night… Whoopty-F***ing-Do. I may have a child who sleeps through the night, but she is 1. Every and anything she can get her hands on, its either broken, dirty or misplaced. Its no easy job to be a slave to your child. But you do all these “jobs” so your family has a clean and beautiful home to be proud of. I don’t wash my sheets everyday so that list isn’t an everyday thing but its replaced with some other task, I’m sure. I just want to say if you are the parent who isn’t making this list your daily routine, then give them a break. Take the kid and let them get out of the house or enjoy a night with friends. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy being a mother, but in order for me to be my best for my little human, I need to take care of myself. She deserves a mommy who is relaxed and calm and had some alone time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. If you never leave your kids side you’ll never get to experience the “run with open arms” hug. Its the best. But like I said, it’s all worth it. Everything.